Networker

Re: [Networker] vaulting tapes

2005-12-01 08:16:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] vaulting tapes
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 08:03:10 -0500
Unfortunately, I can't share a copy of our script, as it is considered
proprietary. But I can outline how it works, and I'd be happy to discuss the
specifics of implementation with you off list.

1. Eject tapes to go out of the jukebox
You have to decide on criteria. You could use mminfo or nsrjb -Cv and select
all tapes in the library from specific pools with non-zero %used, tapes
written more than "x" days ago, or the oldest tapes. Then use nsrjb -wv to
withdraw them. The script has to know the CAP size, so it knows when to
pause for operator intervention.

2. Calculate the number of new/recycled tapes required
Next you figure out how many tapes you need. You can probably base this on a
one-for-one exchange for the tapes you just ejected.

3. Assure enough empty slots for new tapes
This is a simple subtraction problem: nsrjb -Cv tells you the number of
empty slots, and you know the number of tapes you want to import from step
#2. If the latter is greater than the former, you must eject old tapes to
make room for the new. You might want to select the oldest tapes in the
jukebox for this, or use some other criterion. Be sure to leave some empty
slots, in case tapes have to be introduced for restores.

4. Deposit tapes
Again, you have to know the CAP size. The script can ask the operator to
insert the smaller of the number of tapes you need or the full CAP. Repeat
until all tapes are in the library. Operators can deposit blank or
recyclable tapes for various pools in any order.

5. Label all blank and recyclable tapes in jukebox
NetWorker can be left to do this automatically, but tight schedules may be
made even tighter by labeling operations. So, you may want your script to
label tapes if it runs when backup and restore activity is relatively light.
The way to do this is to run sjirdtag for a listing of what's in the
library. Then run each tape against mminfo -m <tapeID>. If the tape is
expired or not in the media index, label it. You might, for example,  use a
label prefix to determine the pool. I'm assuming, of course, barcoded tapes
and a library with a barcode reader.

6. Jukebox inventory
I feel that you should do a daily inventory operation, just to keep
NetWorker in synch with the library's reality. In this case, since you've
just labeled all tapes that aren't in the media index, the inventory
operation should be quick and easy: NetWorker queries the jukebox (using
something like sjirdtag internally), looks at each tape and says, "Oh, yeah,
I know that volume." As a result, it shouldn't have to load any tapes into
drives.

Sorry that this is a bit vague; I hope it helps a bit.

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 03:32:42 -0800, Vernon Harris <harriv00 AT YAHOO DOT COM>
wrote:

>For you out there that have to eject tapes out of your
>library each day and send them offsite.  Have you
>automated this process?? If so how???
>
>Thanks
>
>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
>type
"signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu if
you have any problems