Networker

Re: [Networker] Reading/writing SAIT1 tapes on Linux that were written by solaris?

2005-11-30 15:22:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Reading/writing SAIT1 tapes on Linux that were written by solaris?
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:19:15 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Reading/writing SAIT1 tapes on Linux that...:

OK, the thing that SEEMS to solve the problem is to run "mt -f
/path/to/device status" just BEFORE the tape is loaded into the drive by
networker. What happens then is that networker can't read the drive, since
its already in use by mt. mt then returns the status as expected, and
networker ejects the tape because it couldn't read it. The interesting bit
is that when you load ANY tape after that has happened, it can read the
tape just fine! And no, this is no across-reboot persistent. :(

So, who should I talk to? The guy who wrote the QLA HBA driver? Novell?
EMC/legato? Spectralogic? My local pizza shop?

Your earlier post showed that you have an stinit.def, but are you certain
it's being used?  What does /etc/modules.conf look like on the Linux box?

Also, what does dmesg report?  Unfortunately there are no timestamps in
dmesg, so it's difficult to know what actions may have triggered any
messages that are in the ring buffer.  If you do a reboot, check dmesg,
try the read (no mt first), check dmesg, and then do the mt and the read,
that might give you a hint what's going on.

I'm just taking wild guesses here, but I'm wondering if you need

post-install st /sbin/stinit

in /etc/modules.conf, but the `mt' is triggering stinit, and that's why
you don't see the problem *after* mt has been run once.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the