Networker

[Networker] legato DNA structure

2005-11-30 07:13:09
Subject: [Networker] legato DNA structure
From: Gerrit Sere <gerrit.sere AT COO.VLAANDEREN DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:11:50 +0100
Hi,

We are using legato 7.2 on a Solaris 9 server. For the moment we have nearly 160 unix clients and 40 Nt clients. Next year probably 250 clients. Every day 14 savegroups are started and in the morning we check all those mails. It's difficult to have a global view. Sometimes we were wondering how long a savegroup is running, in which savegroup to put a new client, ...

We have the following setup :

1) The mails from the savegroup completion are filtered.

Savegroups who are running less then 1 minute are deleted. (skipped savegroups) Then, the mails are written to a directory. They look like mail_temp_2005-11-30_8933 (the date + proces id). The mails are also send to our administrators.

2) Every weekday at 10. AM a cronjob, crontimeplot.py is started. This program will start timeplot.py (another python program) with the corrct arguments.

ex. timeplot.py -s 2005/11/29-18:00:0

3)  The main program (timeplot.py)

This is also a python program with needs the chardirector libraries (http://www.advsofteng.com/gallery.html) At the end it will create a legato.png gantt graphic.

The program looks like :

timeplot.py [-v] [-s begindate] [-e enddate] [files]

       -v : print the input files
-s : filter dates starting after a specific date, default is "2000/1/1-00:00:00" -e : filter dates before a specific date, default is "2999/12/31-23:59:59"

       date format : yyyy/mm/dd-hh:mm:ss

       ex.
       timeplot -v mail-2005-10-*
       timeplot -s 2005/10/21-00:00:00
       timeplot -s 2005/10/21-00:00:00 -e 2005/10/24-10:00:00 mail*

If you don't specify files, all the files in the "MAIL_DIRECTORY" variable are going to be read Don't forget to change the "MAIL_DIRECTORY" variable in the beginning of the program !

The output file legato.png is written to the directory where you started timeplot.py
       Change the OUTPUT_PNG variabele in the beginning of the program !

This program reads the first 3 lines of the savegroup completion mails. All the mails after 2005/11/29-18:00:0 (in this case) are read and at the end it makes a gantt char. The Y-as are the savegroups (14 in our case) and the X-as the time. Savegroups who ara marked red, have clients which had backup problems. The green one, runs without any problems.

But it is no problem to make a char from de last week or month. It looks like an DNA structure.

I really like to distribute those python programs. Also, no problem to send one of our png files to show the result. What is the best way to distribute them ??

Regards,
Gerrit

Belgium

"signoff networker" in the