Networker

Re: [Networker] Scheduling Long Term retentions and volume expiration

2005-11-28 15:04:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Scheduling Long Term retentions and volume expiration
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:03:07 -0800
> Hi All,
> I new to networker and have a few questions.  I'm
> familiar with Veritas NetBackup so my questions are
> from that perspective.
>
> 1)  Does legato provide a way to Vault tapes
> automatically or can this be scripted??

I think of "Vault" in the NB world as some tools around bpduplicate.
The similar utility on networker is 'nsrclone' (and to some extent
'nsrstage').  I don't use anything similar to "vault".

> 2)  Is there a job monitor that shows the realtime
> status of backup jobs that show the jobid.

No, the scheduling process is different between the products.  While NB
has a single location for both scheduled and active jobs, NW does not.

"Active" jobs appear in the "sessions" output of nwadmin, nsrwatch, or
nsradmin.  It will give you total amount received from the client.
Generally no file information is available.

If a group is active and will be doing jobs in the future, then the job
will appear in the "work list" detail for that group (nwadmin or
nsradmin to view).

Status for a completed job is handed to the starter for that job, and is
logged.  If the starter was a normal auto-scheduled networker group, the
output will be available in the "completion" field for the group, and
will be passed to the "savegroup completion" notification.

If the job was started maunally via 'savegrp', the status is output from
the utility.

> 3)  What's the best way to setup a backup group?? I
> would like to setup a group of clients that are
> backing up the same data at the same time.
> Incremental backups to occur Monday thru Thursday and
> a Full over the weekend.

Create the group, create the clients, set the schedule on the client,
add it to the group.

> 4)  I ran a test backup of a solaris server of all
> filesystems.  The backup failed with a error of 1, it
> appears that the backup timed out trying to backup
> /devices.

I haven't seen that.  Depending on the version of Solaris, /devices
might not be a normal directory.  Is it on your client?  If the Solaris
version isn't supported, you might want to exclude the directory.

> 5) HOw do you restore individual files???

'recover' or 'nwrecover'.

> 6) How do you turn on verbose logging??

Depends on what you're looking for.  You can do it for group backups
with a command line flag to 'savegrp', or by a setting on the group
itself.

For the daemons, you'd need to run nsrd with a given debug level.