Networker

[Networker] Scheduling Long Term retentions and volume expiration

2005-11-28 12:49:31
Subject: [Networker] Scheduling Long Term retentions and volume expiration
From: "Neild, Jim" <Jim.Neild AT SSHA.ON DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:37:30 -0500

I want to implement a scheduling like this for the same group of
clients.

I have one group called Daily that runs a level 1 backup Mon-Sat and a
full on Sunday and this is repeated through the month.  As part of the
schedule for this group, I would skip the first Sunday.  All clients in
this group would have a browse and retention of one month.

I then have a an identical group to the one above (i.e. same clients,
start time, etc.) but it is called Monthly.  All clients have a browse
and retention of 6 months.  The schedule on this second group would be a
skip on all days except for the first Sunday of the month at a level of
full.

Now I know that I will get my short term retention daily backup as part
of Daily and I would also get my 6 month retention as part of the
monthly job.  My concern is about the expiration dependencies for the
level 1 backups that occur on the days following the 6 month retention
job on the first Sunday?  My asumption is that the short term retention
level 1 backups that follow the 6 month retention full will not expire
until the 6 month retention savesets expire.  Am I correct?  If so, how
can I deal with this?

These two groups would be run at the same time daily and depending on
the schedules, as outlined below, one would do something and one would
skip.  My two schedules look like this in NetWorker:

Group:Daily (client browse/retention=1 month)
Schedule: Daily (type Month)
Action:         1111111
                1111111
                1111111
                1111111
                11111
Override:       Skip first sunday every month
                full second Sunday every month
                full third Sunday every month
                full fourth Sunday every month
                full fifth Sunday every month

Group:Monthly (client browse/retention=6 month)
Schedule: Monthly (type Month)
Action:         sssssss
                sssssss
                sssssss
                sssssss
                sssss
Override:       full first sunday every month

I hope I made this clear.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jim