Networker

Re: [Networker] edit pre-production/pkgadd "nsrla.res" client file

2005-11-27 00:12:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] edit pre-production/pkgadd "nsrla.res" client file
From: Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT UWS.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:06:17 +1100
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Dag Nygren wrote:

> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am running NW 7 clients on Solaris(8|9|10).
> >
> > I have a need to modify /opt/nsr/nsrla.res on a certain set of clients.
>
> Forgive me if I am wrong, but according to documentation
> the nsrla.res file is the file where you determine the ports
> to use. Wasn't aware of any other changeable parameter there???
>
> The way to arrange for the wanted IP:s to be uased are:
> 1. To get the right interface for the communication client->server use
>    Server interface in the client setup (turn in details to see it).
> 2 For the "ordergiving" the server will use the primary name of the
>   client and use that ordinary TCP/IP mechanism to resolve that
>   name.

Didn't work for me until I changed the IP address embedded in the OID.
It's probably not in the documentation.  Maybe it's a V7 thing.

> Also everywhere else Networker will  use the standard name resolution
> and routing for the TCP/IP communications.

Yeah - fwd & rev DNS entries are mandatory in V7.

> Which attribute?

Each entry in the nsrla.res file has a string in OID format.
An IP address of the client is embedded in the OID string.
I had to change it to get my client to talk to the server.

> Also everywhere else Networker will  use the standard name resolution
> and routing for the TCP/IP communications.

You repeated yourself twice there!

> > I have previously generated Solaris pkgadd response files to
> > automagically install Legato Client for me as part of my system build.
>
> Are you talking about the /nsr/res/servers file here?

No, I am talking about nsrla.res.   I left the servers file alone,
as it has the server name in it.    I set the server name in the
response file.

> You are not using IP-addresses for the allowed server??
> That is really not recommended. Use the name instead!
> And set up the client resolution of that name with DNS,
> /etc/hosts or other.

I am not that silly.

Here is what we did:

1)  Gave our server an interface into the private VLAN
2) created a client with a DNS name unique to its secondary i/f
(the one we want to back it up over)
3) added the secondary i/f IP of the server in the client "Server Network
Interface" entry.

At this point, the probe worked but all attempts to run a savegrp failed
with "unable to connect to nsrexecd: connection refused", or similar.

4) Editing the OID Strings in the nsrla.res file to match the Client
secondary i/f IP address now allows the Client to correctly backup.

Here is the example:

resource identifier: 0.4.3.177.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.67.97.253.159.10.10.16.42(6)

The last 4 octet in the OID String above is the IP address (eg 10.10.16.42).
A default install of the Legato Client adopts the IP address of the
Primary Interface as the OID String entry.

When I tried backing up the client with the default OID String, it didn't
work.  Changing the OID String to appear as the selected i/f IP does!

I don't just change files like a wild monkey, banging on a keyboard,
I actually tested each method empirically, until it worked, knowing
that the OID identifier for each entry would need to match the IP
address of the client.

All I was hoping for, was a method of getting the pkg postinstall script
to address for me automagically (by means of a response file) to
set the correct IP to use during the pkg install procedure....

Thanks!

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
ADD Werrington North Campus     (+61 2) 9678 7291  <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT