Networker

[Networker] edit pre-production/pkgadd "nsrla.res" client file

2005-11-24 21:05:48
Subject: [Networker] edit pre-production/pkgadd "nsrla.res" client file
From: Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT UWS.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:58:39 +1100
Hi there,

I am running NW 7 clients on Solaris(8|9|10).

I have a need to modify /opt/nsr/nsrla.res on a certain set of clients.

When installed, the nsrla.res file is given the IP address of the
primary interface of the client.

I don't want to do this.   Instead we have a second interface configured
on the client, that is, in fact, the one we want to backup over.

Now, I have made the appropriate edits on the client, to allow this
to happen.  I have tested the procedure and it works fine.

What I want to do now, as part of my automated installations
is to have this edit propagated to my clients as part of my nsr install.

I have previously generated Solaris pkgadd response files to
automagically install Legato Client for me as part of my system build.

I was wondering, if there was a way to ensure the correct IP address
is added during the nsr_ize or pkgadd procedure for the client?

My current method is to run a sed script over the client's nsrla.res
file and change the IP Address accordingly, but this process is
a bit icky and I want something smarter.

Is there a way to tell legato what IP address to use for the client
during the pkgadd/nsr_ize process for the client installation?

I was hoping for something like the "nsrports" command, which
would be ideal, except it only deals with ports, not IP addresses.

How do other sites handle custom installs of Legato clients where there
may be changes to defaults in nsrla.res?

Perhaps "nsrports" could have a feature fix to include IP address as
part of the variables that could be altered via a CLI tool?

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
ADD Werrington North Campus     (+61 2) 9678 7291  <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT