Networker

Re: [Networker] Windows 2003 - Poor performance

2005-11-24 07:16:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Windows 2003 - Poor performance
From: Allan Nelson <an AT CEH.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:10:26 +0000
Hi
I thought some of you might be interested to hear what resolved this issue.

Basically, the issue was that we were getting 3-4mBps backup rate on a Windows
2003 client which had been backing up fine when on Windows2000 (same hardware).

The card in the Windows 2003 client is an Intel Pro 1000 MT dual port adapter.
If we set the card to 100mbps, we got a throughput on backups of around 10-12
mBps.

By unchecking the various 'Offload' parameters in the Advanced settings on the
adapter, and re-setting to gigabit, we now have throughput of 30+ mBps.
As it's a fairly beefy box we're hoping it wont have an adverse effect on day
to day use (by putting the load back on the client CPU's as oppsed to the card).

We're a bit concerned that we've just 'masked' the real issue (ie why does this
card behave so poorly under Windows2003 when it worked fine under Windows2000),
but at least we can get our backups done in a reasonable time now!  (We did try
an older driver, but that made no difference).

As a test, I also made this change on a much less powerful Windows2000 server
(HP) with an HP dual port card.  Performance did increase slightly on this box
too.

Anyone out there doing a similar thing with their gigabit cards?

Cheeers... Allan.

>>> an AT CEH.AC DOT UK 22/11/05 08:36 >>>
We've checked the NIC settings and the switch port settings (also tried
different switch port).

Did some more tests yesterday...

FTP of a 1gByte file from the Windows client to the Networker Server took 58
seconds.
Initiating a backup of that file from the Windows client - 5 mins 40 seconds
(lets be kind and allow 40 seconds for the tape to position ;-)
Again, it ties in with what I've seen on the other backups - throughput on this
backup hovered around 3-4mB sec.

We were convinced it must be a hardware issue, but we've swapped almost
everything we can (cables, ports etc).  Will try another NIC in the Windows
box, but I'm not convinced.  As I say, FTP is fine.

Any other ideas?

Allan.

>>> Peter.Orton AT KPMG.CO DOT UK 21/11/05 13:49 >>>
It sounds like the problem here is as Ed says, most likely that the NIC
on the Windows client is set to Half Duplex and needs to be set to Full
Duplex.

Regards

Pete orton