Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up through a Firewall

2005-11-22 16:59:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up through a Firewall
From: Jim Ruskowsky <jimr AT JEFFERIES DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:47:46 -0500
Mark -

We solved this issue by having a filesystem on the client (in the DMZ) to
which we locally
backed up server (we generate a ufsdump for each filesystem).

At some fixed point in time after the ufsdumps are kicked off, the
networker server scp's
the files from the dmz client onto a local disk.

With this setup, the only hole you open up is for scp - which is initiated
from inside the firewall.
You don't even need any networker software on the dmz client machine, but
you do need extra
disk space on both client and server for the transfers.

Hope this give you another idea how to solve this.

Jim

Mark A. Sackson <Mark.Sackson AT SPERRY.NGC DOT COM> wrote on 11/22/2005
04:22:33
PM:

> I was wondering if anybody is able to backup a server located in the
> other side of a firewall from the NetWorker server?

Jefferies archives and reviews outgoing and incoming e-mail.  It may be
produced at the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation.
Jefferies accepts no liability for any errors or omissions arising as a result
of  transmission. Use by other than intended recipients is prohibited.