Networker

Re: [Networker] Poor performance backing up netapp filer via FC to LTO-3

2005-11-19 05:25:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Poor performance backing up netapp filer via FC to LTO-3
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:25:07 +0200
> Hi list,
>
> we are backing up our netapp filer by ndmp. The tape drive
> is connected via fibre channel. We upgraded the drive from lto-2
> to lto-3 recently. However: the backup performance  havent
> changed since then (approx 25 mb/s). The new lto-3 drive should
> come up with more than 50 mb/s....

You are not running a Windows Networker server are you? ;-)

Anyway you will not see the difference until the tapes are
recycled (or on new ones) as your drive is still using the old
LTO2 format on a tape, until something is written to the
tape just at the beginning. This will be the label with Networker.

Other things to watch out for is the st.conf in Solaris or
stinit.def in Linux. They will force the drive into a certain
mode and if the mode is wrong (ie LTO2) you will see that kind
of problem.

Dag