Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape offset

2005-11-15 18:49:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape offset
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:38:41 -0500
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:26:41 -0600, Rohrich, James <James.Rohrich AT UOP DOT

wrote:

>At one of my sites, several tapes seem to be reading the label wrong.
>Instead of picking up the label name on the tape such as Weekly.001 for
>barcode 000200, it picks up the name Weekly.200 for the label name. Two
>batches of tapes appear to have this problem. In all of the cases seen
>so far there is a tape that is already using that barcode.
>
>The tapes where this occurred are from last december and january, yet a
>tape from 3 years ago is ok and a tape from a week ago is ok. It seems a
>few tapes have an offset problem where they are reading part of the
>barcode (last 3 digits) and using it as part of the label name.

This sounds like media database corruption to me.

AFAIK, the bar code isn't stored in the tape label, it's stored with the
tape's entry in the media database.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be possible for
NetWorker to update the barcode associated with a particular volume without
writing to the label on the tape volume, which would effectively make
everything on the tape unavailable (it would be beyond the EOM mark that
NetWorker just wrote when it wrote the new label to the tape).

You should be able to just read the label off the tape using dd.  You'll
need to know the block size NetWorker is using to write to the tapes.  It's
probably one of 64K, 96K, or 128K.  You would use something like

  dd if=/dev/nst2 of=/tmp/label bs=128k

You can use "od" or even "less" to view the label, and verify that it's
on the tape in the correct format.  The volume name starts at (octal) 0364.

Also, if you mminfo query by barcode for one of the barcodes, how many
records do you get back?  How about if you mminfo query by volume for one of
the bad volumes?

Tim