Networker

Re: [Networker] Some questions on upgrading

2005-11-09 11:34:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Some questions on upgrading
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:28:45 -0500
If in fact the tape format is not endian dependent then it still seems that if you back up the indexes to tape from the Solaris box, using something like 'savegroup -o groupname', and then use 'nsrck -L7' to recover them to the Linux box they would now be on disk, not tape, and maybe the NetWorker version on Linux might then read the indexes differently since the byte order is different, i.e. Linux is little endian and Solaris is big endian. Wouldn't this still be a problem?

Is NetWorker endian sensitive? Does it care? A lot of applications don't care about the byte order, but some do. I can't get a clear answer from Legato on this.

Thanks.

George