Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP restores

2005-11-04 18:10:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP restores
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:03:31 -0800
> Which reminds me of a question I have wondered about for a while. In
> my environment, we use NDMP to back up some email servers. These are
> not NetApp or other filers, but they can be thought of that way if it
> makes people happy.
>
> Whenever I try to recover data from ProductionMailServerA to
> TestMailServer, unless TestMailServer has the exact same OS as
> ProductionMailServer, the recover will fail as soon as the software
> attempts to stream the data from tape. This is a pain in the neck
> because it is not unusual for us to have a later OS version on
> TestMailServer than we have on ProductionMailServerA for testing
> purposes. I am wondering if there is any way around that limitation.

As far as I can guess from your description, any problem here would lie
with the NDMP client on that device.  So you'd have to talk to the
vendor of the device.

Networker isn't doing much here.  It's requesting a datastream and
storing it during the backup, and it's sending the datastream back to
the machine during a restore.

It's out of Networker's control how it deals with that data.  (Restores
the data to disk, errors out, panics and dies...)

> I assume the answer is no, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask.

It's my guess that any such answer would have little to do with
Networker and more to do with the OS/NDMP client on that device.

Have you asked that vendor about it?  Do they say that this should or
shouldn't work?