Networker

Re: [Networker] Missing files on backup due to extreme path length

2005-11-02 18:49:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Missing files on backup due to extreme path length
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:43:12 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Missing files on backup due to extreme path...:

We recently discovered that Networker is not backing up files when the path
length exceeds ~140 characters.

Which I wouldn't consider extreme, by today's standards.

This is definitely a serious problem, especially if it is really still
present in 7.2.1.  Others have reported it in 7.1.2 and in the NetWare 7.2
client, but I was under the impression that it was fixed in 7.1.3 and
would be fixed in 7.2.1.

Environment:
-- Networker 7.1.2 and 7.2.1 Build 311 (we upgraded just in case)

Did you perform a new full, after upgrading to 7.2.1, to make sure that
you weren't still depending on a bad backup from 7.1.2?

Just as an FYI, I've done a test restore of a file that had a full path
(starting at the root of its filesystem, not at /) that was 168
characters, and that worked fine.

We're using 7.1.3 build 421, both on client and server (both Linux).

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the