Networker

[Networker] Missing files on backup due to extreme path length

2005-11-02 18:10:53
Subject: [Networker] Missing files on backup due to extreme path length
From: Dave Sand <dave.sand AT TENNANTCO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:56:29 -0500
We recently discovered that Networker is not backing up files when the path
length exceeds ~140 characters.  We found out about this problem after
doing a restore of SAP J2EE instances.  In one case, we had a production
install of the same application, so we were able to recover the ~5000
missing files by copying from the other instance.

Environment:
-- Networker 7.1.2 and 7.2.1 Build 311 (we upgraded just in case)
-- HPUX 11.23 (IA64).
-- SAP Netweaver 2004 J2EE 640

A problem has been opened with Legato, but they have not resolved the
problem yet.