Networker

Re: [Networker] Commvault Galaxy (Was: Re: [Networker] de-install the Legato 6.1 or 7.1 RMAN module for Oracle on HP UX)

2005-11-02 01:47:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Commvault Galaxy (Was: Re: [Networker] de-install the Legato 6.1 or 7.1 RMAN module for Oracle on HP UX)
From: Craig Ruefenacht <Craig.Ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:40:57 -0700
I know this is slightly off topic for this particular list.

We've been working with Legato on getting our yearly maintenance all wrapped
up, and I found out that Commvault would be coming in within the next few weeks
to give their speil on their Galaxy backup products, because apparently they
are cheaper than Legato (I've heard 50% or more).

Apart from that, I'm intrigued at their feature set.  If anyone would be
interested in knowing what I find out about their presentation, please let me
know off-list.  And if anyone has any more information on Commvault (pros and
cons), also send them my way off-list.  I'm interested in its support of remote
sites with remote tape drives and performance in a heterogeneous network with
Windows/Unix/Linux/Novell.

Our Legato installation is working well for us and it fits our needs.  But when
it comes to cost, unfortunatly, sometimes that plays a bigger role in software
than "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

--
Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Systems Administrator