Networker

Re: [Networker] Compare Netoworker to other backup products

2005-10-31 02:30:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Compare Netoworker to other backup products
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:06:04 +0200
> This is why sometimes it will work and fail other
> times. Later IOS and Catalyst version and newer NIC firmwares are better
> at the guess, but it will probably be someone who puts an old ethernet
> card into a new server that gets you.

Yep, this is very consistant with what I see in the "field".

And it also explains why things seems to work better if even one end is locked.
(Contrary to what Oscar said)

> Why take the risk?

I agree completely on that and have included this check as one part of
my installation procedure.

> On Behalf Of Oscar Olsson
> Sent: Monday, 31 October 2005 9:50 AM
> To: NETWORKER AT listserv.temple DOT edu
> Subject: Re: [Networker] Compare Netoworker to other backup products
>
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Dag Nygren wrote:
>
> DN> And here is a third one!
> DN> I installed 10 -20 bigger Networker systems last year and saw about
> DN> 50% of these failing to negotiate decently under auto-negostiate.
> DN> Usually they ended up with one end 100/half and the other 100/full.
>
> And both ends were configured to auto-negotiate?

Yep, this when it goes wrong. Randomly.

> True, since I'm the network guy as well, or at least one of them, at our
> site. :)

Well, if Cisco is spreading the kind of info you quoted, it certainly explains
why it is so very hard to convince the network guys to make it work ....

> However, considering the number of reports, its also probable that some
> low-end switches and/or NIC's haren't 100% compliant with the 802.3u
> standard. But if one runs backups, I guess one wouldn't use that range
> of equipment anyway? :) I can't think of an adapter based on Intel, 3com
> or broadcom chipsets that has had any problem with this in at least five
> years.

I haven't really seen any specific pattern in this. It is only a matter
of luck if it works as you seem to have a 50 - 50 chance of it working.
It might work just now, but what happens during the next boot...

But good luck
Dag