Networker

[Networker] (slightly OT): upgrade tape drives in STK (Sun) L180 ?

2005-10-26 12:02:13
Subject: [Networker] (slightly OT): upgrade tape drives in STK (Sun) L180 ?
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:58:43 -0500
All,

I have a project in mind in which I would pull a number of
working/non-working DLT8000 drives out of three SCSI-attached L180
libraries I have, and replace them with more current technology such as
SDLT or LTO.    I've already done so in one of the libs, with good results
(SDLT320.)

A thought crossed my mind, however:  were I to upgrade to LTO Gen III, I
would need to change out the MPC board on the library so that its
connections are FC-based, as I think the Gen III drives are only available
with FC connections.

My question is this:   have other subscribers converted an L180 library
from SCSI to FC?   Comments/war stories/sugggestions are welcome.

TIA

-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Manager, Data Center and Backup/Recovery Services
Information Services
i2 Technologies, Inc.