Networker

Re: [Networker] Volume Location disappears after reboot

2005-10-26 04:24:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Volume Location disappears after reboot
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:23:18 +0100
Rachel Polanskis wrote:

Whenever I run (from my cap_eject script):

/usr/sbin/mmlocate -u -n $vols 'Media Vault'

It sets the Location very nicely for output when I run the appropriate
commands.  It also works nicely in nwadmin when in the Volumes
Dialogue Box and shows my Location for a Volume as either "L700" or
"Media Vault".

Until!   Until I restart Legato, that is.    Then all references
to "Media Vault" are replaced by a blank entry and the reference is
not searchable via command line.

Can anyone please tell me how to fix this?

The problem was present in 6.1.3 and older and still present in 7.2.1.

This is most strange. I have used this functionality extensively on NetWorker versions from 4.2 to 7.2.1 on Windows and various Unix platforms, at many different sites. I have NEVER seen the location getting reset unexpectedly. Obviously your nearline locations will get reset when you do an inventory, but offsite locations should only be updated by a deliberate invocation of the mmlocate command - nothing else. Are you sure you don't have some scripts in place that might be changing these locations?

Out of interest, how do you remove the tapes from the L700? Do you withdraw then through the CAP or do you open the front door and pull them out manually?

"signoff networker" in the