Networker

Re: [Networker] Label Info for LTO I

2005-10-20 07:13:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Label Info for LTO I
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 07:11:38 -0400
Peter Viertel is right. There simply isn't enough real estate on an LTO
cartridge to allow the sort of label your management is proposing. And if
you were to affix them so that they wouldn't come off with handling, you'd
have a problem removing the old labels when the time came to reuse the tapes.

The first two items of information are easy enough to generate with an
mminfo query, something like:
   mminfo -r 'volume,client,savetime' -q 'volume=LO1234'
But it's not clear where the information about "data classification" (which
I assume means flat files vs. database vs. application data) and "contact
information" (for the client? for the backup?) would come from.

How about this as a compromise: hook a barcode scanner up to a PC that can
communicate with your NetWorker server. Then -- with a little coding -- when
you scan a tape label the screen could display NetWorker information about
the tape. You could even have a table lookup for contact info, and maybe
data classification could somehow be encoded into a group name? It wouldn't
be a whole lot worse than a separate barcode, which would have to be scanned
anyway to decode the information.

Best of luck with your new management team,
Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:55:13 -0400, Irene Reed <irene.reed AT TEA.STATE.TX DOT

wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>We have new management that is requiring information being added to our
>bar codes or labels for our tapes.  The information to be added won't be
>known until the tape is written to.  The information wanted by management
>is:
>
> System Name (will probably be more than one)
> Creation Date (I am assuming date the data was written)
> Data Classification
> Contact Information
>
>Is anyone out there doing something like this?  I have just been using the
>following type labels for our LTO 1 tapes and don't know where I would add
>this information.  I may have to create additional labels to adhere to the
>case or something.  I am just fishing for information from those who have
>done this before if you exist.  I have enclosed my current bar code
>information for reference.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Irene Reed
>
>My current bar code specs:
>
>- The tape label specifications are:
>- EDP/COLORFLEX LABELS
>- 1700-00
>-
>- LTO Ultrium
>-
>- 6 Human readable characters w/7th & 8th position media identifier - L1
>- Horizontal alpha-numeric volume serial number
>- 6 Characters can be any combination of A-Z or 0-9 - Helvetica Font
>- EDP/Colorflex Vibrant color scheme
>- Numeric characters - Black on Vibrant background
>- Matte overlaminate
>- Barcode 3 of 9
>- 20 labels per sheet
>- 0.6422" X 3.0732"
>-
>- The labels should begin at L0#### and end at L0####+200. The L on the
>- label will be black on a blue background. The 5 subsequent numeric
>- characters will match the color scheme:
>-
>- 0 - Red, 1- Yllw, 2 - Lt Green, 3- Lt Blue, 4 - Gray, 5- Orange, 6-
>- Pink, 7- Dk Green, 8 - Lt Orange, 9 - Purple. All colors = Vibrant Color
>- Code.
>
>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
>type
"signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu if
you have any problems