Networker

Re: [Networker] Bhas - Networker version 6.11

2005-10-20 06:49:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Bhas - Networker version 6.11
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 06:43:26 -0400
At this point you should probably be using NetWorker 7.2.1, although AFAIK
7.1.3 and 7.2.0 are still supported. You don't say whether you need to do
cold backups or hot, nor whether you plan to use RMAN.

One thing you could do is set up a savegroup called FlatFiles or something
like that. Add each of the three clients to the group with Save set: All and
a directive based on Unix with Compression Directives or Unix Standard
Directives but including:
<< / >>
        +skip: *.dbf

This will back up root, var and any flat files that users might put in
database file systems. It will also back up the *.ctl files uselessly. You
could exclude those from the directive or let them back up, as they are small.

Now, for database backups:

Cold are the easiest. You write shutdown and startup scripts, which can be
run via cron, an external scheduler like Autosys or NetWorker's savepnpc
feature.

Hot RMAN backups to tape or AdvFS disk require the NetWorker Module for
Oracle, LGTOnmo, installed on the clients and a NetWorker Module for Oracle
license for each client.

Another option -- if the client systems have enough disk -- would be to do
RMAN to disk on the client and back up the resulting flat files with
NetWorker. No additonal license would be required for this.

Is that the sort of information you're looking for?

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:57:53 +0000, Bhaskar Mylavarapu
<Bhaskar.Mylavarapu AT NOAA DOT GOV> wrote:

>We have 3 servers with the following configurations.
>
> 1st server with Oracle 9i on Linux 7.2
> 2nd server with Oracle 9i on Solaris 7
>3rd Server with oracle 10g on Linux rel 3.0
>
>There is a primary backup server with solaris 2.8 and networker 6.11.
>
>To organize networker backup on the backup server, what could the
>suggestions to the above setup?
>Please suggest the networker version to this setup.
>Thanks
>Bhas
>Oracle DBA NOAA
>
>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
>type
"signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu if
you have any problems