Networker

Re: [Networker] OS X restore ?

2005-10-12 09:41:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] OS X restore ?
From: Johan Palsson <johan AT OVIKSREPRO DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:38:05 -0400
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 06:41:45 -0400, Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote:

>I doubt that strategy would work because NetWorker's Linux client
>would no nothing about the HFS+ file system meta data that most
>people use on their Macs.

It is possible to some extent, i have made directed restores using a windows
machine and restored to Linux machines lacking X
(only as a test, but it worked).

But, it is probably impossible to restore files with special filenames.
Ex. think it would be impossible to make a rederected recover of a file
named "report1/report2.pdf" using a windows machine.

And, as you point out, special data as "resource forks" must also
be handled automatically.

>The question about a lack of a GUI for the Mac OS X NetWorker client
>is no big deal. You just open  up a terminal window and use a command
>line recover.

Yes, but i assume that you are using a CLI for other tasks also ?
These users are photoshop/indesign people.

They have no problem of find and restore files using the legato Gui (under
Linux), but open a terminal windows, finding a file among perhaps 1.5
million networker-records and restoring that using a CLI would probably be
to difficult..

/Johan