Networker

Re: [Networker] Partially qualified expressions work with nsradmin

2005-10-11 06:48:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Partially qualified expressions work with nsradmin
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:46:59 +0100
IT-Administration ST wrote:

finally I discovered a way how to tell nsradmin that I want information about
patterns which begin or which contain a certain string. We use Networker 7.1 as
it is co-developed and distributed by Fujitsu Siemens Computers on Solaris 8.

For example I want to know how many networker groups start between 21.00 and
21.59. Normally you would have to say:

   . type:nsr group; start time: "21:00","21:01", "21:02" [...] "21:59"
   show name
   print

Now I discovered that it is possible to say:

   . type:nsr group; start time: 21.
   show name
   print

If I want information about any ressource that begins with the string "st" and
say:

   . name: st.
   show name
   print

the result will be
1) all ressources which names _begin_ with the pattern "st"
2) all ressources which names _contain_    the pattern "st"

If instead you say

   . name: .st
   show name
   print

you will get the name of any ressource which _ends_ with the pattern "st"

I still didn't find out, how to tell nsradmin, that I want to get hits of ressources whose names begin with the pattern but do not contain the pattern in the middle of the string.

nsradmin is matching based on regular expressions as used by many programs such as grep and sed. To match a string at the beginning, just use a caret character, and to match a string at the end use a dollar character.

e.g. to match "st" at the beginning of the resource name you can do:

show name
print name: ^st

and to match "st" at the end of the resource name use:

show name
print name: st$

"signoff networker" in the