Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker Licensing

2005-10-10 16:03:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker Licensing
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:59:24 -0500
On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 07:50:53AM -0700, Moore, Joe wrote:
> [...]

One caveat about VSS: Networker only uses it for backups for
applications that support VSS.  Exchange, SharePoint, Oracle, and others
have started to code VSS support into their products.

We use VSS for Volume Shadow Copies on a file server.  Networker doesn't
interact with this.  So, even though there are snapshot "cold" files on
a file server thanks to VSS/Volume Shadow Copies, Networker uses the
normal file API and doesn't backup the 'offline' version of these files.
In that respect, it's not an open file manager -- it's just another way
to backup Exchange or Oracle or anything else with VSS, except the
native OS files.

That, and the per-client licensing for VSS, really left a bad taste in
my mouth with VSS and Legato.

Dave