Networker

Re: [Networker] advance file type question

2005-09-30 01:23:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] advance file type question
From: "T. S. Kimball" <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:20:04 -0400
I've actually opened a Sun case regarding this last year (wanted info so we
could configure our BladeStore correctly).  Quick answers:

UFS on Solaris limits a volume (LUN) limit of 1 TB.  fsck takes *forever* on
these, at least on Solaris 8.

Larger volumes are available if you want to goto either ZFS (their new disk
format, Sol 10 or Sol 9 /w backported pkgs) or use Veritas VxVM/VxFS to
build larger volumes once the 1 TB LUNs are presented to Solaris.

We chose Veritas running on Solaris 8, in part due to other things such as
Networker Server support in 9/10, AlphaStor support in 9/10, and we felt
that Solaris 10 and ZFS is too new for us to risk the backup environment on.

BladeStore is a bunch of 3+1 RAID 5's, with three 1 TB LUNS and one 0.5 TB
LUN in each RAID group.

For Veritas, we concat the LUNs and create Adv_file devices of 12-16 TB each
 (DBO Tier 5 license).  Need to newfs the vxfs filesystem with largefiles
support but otherwise works well.

This also gives the added advantage that I can Deport a set of adv_file LUNs
and re-present/Import them to a Storage Node when I need to re-balance
devices.  [Note, I've not tested yet, but should work.]

--TSK

Timothy Kimball          tkimball AT brass DOT com