Networker

[Networker] Block Size Issue With W2K Storage Node

2005-09-24 12:25:12
Subject: [Networker] Block Size Issue With W2K Storage Node
From: "Hwan Meng, Lee" <hwanlee AT SOFTHOME DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:18:59 -0400
Environment (all on Networker 7.2.1):
Backup server: Solaris 8
Storage node: 2 X Sun (no problem), 1 X W2K
ATL P4000 tape library with SDLT tape drives
W2K server using Emulex LP8000

Due to increased data size we are forced to upgrade our W2K client to
storage node; but since day one we have seen mixed results. Half the time
we have tapes prematurely full (marked full at way below 110GB - like 20GB,
55GB, etc). Here are what I have done (mostly according to Legato's
recommendation):

1. set env (NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_SDLT) to 128
2. set registry setting
(../Services/lpxnds/Parameters/device/MaximumSGList) to hex 33 (ok, should
only work for Adaptec devices but what the heck...)
3. upgrade firmware on LP8000 to latest

A typical error that I got (with all above done) is of this form:

- Cannot decode block. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by
record is disabled.

... and then the tape goes full. :-(

I have used new tapes and what I get is still the same.

When I do 'mt -f \\.\Tape? status' on W2k the default, max and min
blocksize are 64, 128 and 4 respectively.

When I do 'scanner' from the backup server, all the tapes are of record
size 128K.

So, all experts out there, any suggestions/recommendations that you can
give will be DEEPLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks.