Networker

[Networker] BAD PROBLEM -- boneheaded error -- can this be fixed? (or mitigated, at least?)

2005-09-21 13:28:27
Subject: [Networker] BAD PROBLEM -- boneheaded error -- can this be fixed? (or mitigated, at least?)
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:26:17 -0400
All,

         It turns out I made a large error here.
I wonder if anyone can help.

Here's the scenario:

In a full backup on February, our 80 servers were backed up onto about 60 tapes.
In may of this year,  I stupidly overwrote the last tape of the
february full backup. As a result, the saveset of one of our clients (and, no
doubt, some of the files) disappeared.

1. Is it possible to reconstruct what there is of the saveset?
2. Do I simply use scanner to find the first tape in the full backup
      that has an instance of this clients saveset?
   a. Do I then use "scanner -i" to reconstruct what there is
      of the saveset even if it's incomplete?
   b. If yes, what is the fastest way to do it?

I guess this is an argument for cloning, but, what now?
Any help, as usual, really appreciated.

                                       Matt Temple

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street, LG300/300   http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!

"signoff networker" in the