Networker

Re: [Networker] Slow Cloning Speed

2005-09-15 15:59:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slow Cloning Speed
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:53:39 -0400
Are the savesets from the same client..perhaps the saveset being cloned
backed up slow...ie. it is spread out/multiplexed with many other savesets
over lots of tape.  Does every saveset cloned run at 1 MB/sec?

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:20:43 -0400, Thomas, Adam (NIH/NIMH)
<adamt AT NIH DOT GOV> wrote:

>I'm running Networker 7.2 on a Linux workstation (RHEL 3, kernel 2.4.29)
>with a Qualstar 5433 tape library containing two S-AIT drives.
>
>When I try to clone a saveset on a tape with multiple multiplexed files
the
>job proceeds at less 1 MB/sec. At this rate it would take about a week to
>clone one tape.
>
>If I try to clone one of my archive tapes, where the savesets are not
>multiplexed on the tape, the job proceeds at closer to 40MB/sec.
>
>Note that for backups parallelism on the tape devices is set to four, so
the
>degree of multiplexing is fairly low.
>
>Any ideas on how to speed things up?
>
>-a
>

>---
>Adam Thomas             adamt AT nih DOT gov
>
>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
type "signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu
if you have any problems