Networker

Re: [Networker] Premature marking tapes full

2005-09-07 10:33:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Premature marking tapes full
From: Librado Pamintuan <LPamintuan AT REGINA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:26:06 -0600
Well, this is now getting a little bit confusing. I have IBM LTO-2 tape drives
also and ADIC Tech. Support advised me that the firmware 4AP0 is the latest and
now we have 2 different firmwares on this thread, which one is should we use?

Librado Pamintuan
Technical Support Analyst II
Information Systems Dep.
Operations Group
City of Regina

Phone:          (306) 777-7573
General Fax: (306) 777-6804
eFax:             (306) 546-6002
eMail:            lpamintuan AT regina DOT ca

>>> robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM 09/07/05 8:00 am >>>
I have not seen the LTO2 tapes that sensitive to firmware.  That said,
StorageTek anyway is shipping IBM LTO2 the latest firmware of 53Y2. Before
that they were shipping 4C60.

I would ask ADIC what driver and firmware they reccommend.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:05:03 +0200, Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)
<Maarten.Boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM> wrote:

>IBM LTO2 uses a different way to check the servo tracks than most other brands
>the latest firmware 4772 corrects that so that IBM drives are more tolerant to
>errors in the servo tracks then before.
>
>(before both servo tracks must be perfect)
>with the latest firmware occasional glitches in one servo track are Ok as lomg
>as at least 1 servo track is still OK.
>
>Even then, I have 3 IBM drives are had already 2 swapped tape drives, we
>bought them sept 2004.
>
>Maarten
>

>On Tuesday 06 September 2005 23:21, Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA/ESS wrote:
>> OK waited long enough to get input from you guys.
>>
>> I am not discounting everyone but will try to reply to all with one
>> reply if I can.
>>
>> 3 Sites
>>  HQ w/ADIC SCALAR 100
>>  Site 2 w/SCALAR 24
>>  Site 3 w/SCALAR 24
>>
>> Things in common
>>
>> All sites running
>>  Windows 2003 SP1
>>  Legato Networker for Windows v7.2
>>  IBM LTO2 Drives
>>
>> There is a specific ADIC SCALAR 100 driver
>>  Had to use a generic UNSPECIFIED SCALAR Driver for the SCALAR
>> 24s
>>
>> Legato Tech Support is saying IBM LTO2 Drives are being returned a lot
>> (we have returned one from each site)
>>
>> When I "MONITOR" one of the tapes that consistently gets marked as FULL,
>> Legato appears to read the tape as "WRITE PROTECTED" then it is marked
>> full.
>>
>> The problem started at the site in CA, then a few days later in happened
>> in TX and then finally at HQ here in DC. I don't think it is a Legato
>> VIRUS per-se but the look and the fact that it came in a wave is weird.
>>
>> We need to get this fixed of course as those tapes are very expensive.

DISCLAIMER: The information transmitted is intended only
for the addressee and may contain confidential,
proprietary and/or privileged material. Any
unauthorized review, distribution or other use
of or the taking of any action in reliance upon
this information is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and
delete or destroy this message and any copies.