Networker

[Networker] Bootstraps during Staging

2005-09-01 12:00:41
Subject: [Networker] Bootstraps during Staging
From: Ian Batten <igb AT FTEL.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:58:17 +0100
On 1 Sep 2005, at 15:36, Davina Treiber wrote:

I think that the media database should be backed up to tape after the
savesets have moved from disk to tape, but before they are deleted
from their source device.

Or am I missing something?

No you're not missing anything, but there are very many instances when the media database on disk is newer than the backup of it on tape. Running any backup that doesn't include the bootstrap will create this situation, and any time that a backup is in progress the same could be said. So what is the solution? The only way you could get round this is to backup the bootstrap more often. There is nothing at all to prevent you doing this. I don't think most people would see this as a problem, but it all depends on your level of paranoia.

My suspicion is that the staging code is a part of Networker that's not as well-exercised as some others, and therefore some of the implications might not have been worked through. You're right that the media database isn't committed to tape until the bootstraps go out at the end of a group, but I think most people would accept that `in progress' backups are a special case. My worry with staging is that you could lose track of a backup which was done some time ago, and on which subsequent incrementals rely. In a largeish silo scanning all the tapes to find a specified saveset would be distinctly slow. Staging is one of the rare circumstances in which perfectly good, non-expired savesets are deleted. I can't think of another scenario in which a saveset which predates the most recent group completion would get lost in this way, and I can't see how I could intervene to save the bootstrap at the right point.

ian

"signoff networker" in the