Networker

Re: [Networker] mixed media and drives

2005-08-30 17:47:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] mixed media and drives
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:44:05 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] mixed media and drives, Teresa.Kroeker AT THOMSON DOT
CO...:

We are running Networker 7.1.3 on Solaris 10 with a StorageTek L180
library.  We have both SDLT and LTO2 drives in the library.  We have
auto media management turned on.

We have set up specific pools to use specific devices and set the
preferred media type.  We are finding that Networker will try to put the
wrong type of media in a tape drive (tries to label a blank SDLT tape in
a LTO2 drive).

Is there a solution other than prelabelling the tapes?

Are we likely to run into any other problems?

You may also end up with issues with restores.  NetWorker will likely just
pick a drive to load the tape into, whether it's the right type of drive
or not.

What you're trying to do should be possible, but in my experience
NetWorker (at least the core parts of NetWorker) doesn't really support
it, and it doesn't work reliably.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the