Networker

Re: [Networker] Errors on Windows Server 2003 x64

2005-08-25 05:43:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Errors on Windows Server 2003 x64
From: "Hamilton, Mary [OS-IE]" <MARY.HAMILTON AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 02:42:05 -0700
This should help

There is a bug which affects NetWorker 7.1.3 installed on Windows 2003
servers. It is related to the Volume Shadow Copy Service in Windows 2003.
NetWorker 7.1.3 is unable to detect correctly if the VSS service is running
or not. It assumes it is and looks for the appropriate license on the backup
server. The error message it gives is 'This client is not licensed for VSS'
as detailed below. Fix being add VSS:*=off in the save operations field of
the affected client resource.

Solution Information

Title:How to disable the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) during a backup
ID:legato56979
Solution Statements

Here is the solution:
Scheduled Backup:

1. Open NetWorker Administrator / nwadmin and connect to your NetWorker
Server 2. Edit the client resource that you do not want to use VSS backups
for 3. Click the Miscellaneous tab under the client resource and type the
following into the &quot;save operation&quot; attribute (without quotes):
&quot;VSS:*=off&quot;

Any scheduled backup for this client instance will use the legacy SYSTEM
save sets.

Manual Backup:

1. Open NetWorker User / winworkr and conect to your NetWorker Server 2.
Select Options --&gt; Save Operations 3. Type in the following (without
quotes) to disable VSS: &quot;VSS:*=off&quot; 4. Press &quot;OK&quot; and
Select the Backup Button to proceed with a manual backup

Any manual backup for this client will use the legacy SYSTEM save sets.

Note: You MUST configure the save operations before selecting the backup
button. Failing to do so will not allow you to update this field and you
will need to exit and re-launch the NetWorker User / winworkr.

Here is the problem or goal:
How to disable the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) during a backup
Attempting to perform legacy backup Does not want to use VSS
Error: 'This client is not licensed for VSS'
Disable VSS backups

Here is the problem environment:
Windows 2003
NetWorker 7.1.X