Networker

Re: [Networker] Best Method to backup NetApp Filers....

2005-08-24 11:10:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Best Method to backup NetApp Filers....
From: "Moore, Joe" <jmoore AT UGS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:07:18 -0700

Jeff Mery wrote:
> You don't have to have an entire library dedicated to the
> filers.  This is
> true for both FC and SCSI libraries.  However, you do have to
> have drives
> dedicated to them (This has been our experience, can anyone else
> confirm???).  In one branch, we have a library's robotics and
> two drives
> connected to the Legato server.  The other two drives in the
> library are
> connected directy to the filers (one each).  This gets around
> the cost of
> a separate library license (still need the NDMP license(s)).  It also
> keeps any backup data completely off the network (each filer
> can go to its
> own drive).

You can use the Legato Dynamic Drive Sharing functionality with NDMP
drives.

We have a 2-drive library where all drives are shared (via fibre
channel) between our Solaris Networker server, and two Netapps.  If a
drive is idle, it can be used for any backup task.

To do this, you'd need:
1 "shared autochanger license" (this is supposed to be included in
NW6.x, but we've needed the extra enabler)
2 "NDMP Client Connections" (one for each filer)
2 "SAN Storage Nodes" (dedicated storage node, one for each filer)
1 Autochanger license
2 "Dynamic Drive Sharing" (one for each tape drive)

--Joe