Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.1.3 client DNS checks and multihomed clients

2005-08-23 03:47:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.1.3 client DNS checks and multihomed clients
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:23:07 -0400
This issue may have also caused us to have some existing clients fail
due to exceeding our licensing restrictions... The server refused to
back up some existing clients because it thought we had exceeded our
license count, but we only had 73 clients out of 88...  After opening a
case with their support, Legato supplied us with a patched nsrd.exe
(we're running 7.1.2 on WIN2000) which was apparently compiled with a
'-fno-strict-aliasing' option. They said: "The problem stemmed from the
way it looks at the ClientID as well as the Client name.  Since
ClientID's are listed several times depending on how  many client
instances you have, NetWorker can get confused and think there are more
clients despite the fact the licensing reports otherwise."
Either way, the patched version of nsrd.exe they had us install resolved
it for us....
I like the way the EMC backup product worked (EDM), it used the
/etc/hosts file and recommended it be maintained so as not to be
dependent on an external service like DNS for the backups to execute,
which I like.... A backup server should not depend on any external
services that may or may not be working at the time you really need to
perform a backup of your data !