Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.1.3 client DNS checks and multihomed clients

2005-08-22 12:33:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.1.3 client DNS checks and multihomed clients
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:30:22 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] 7.1.3 client DNS checks and multihomed...:

When I was moving clients to 7.1.2 I had a problem with the same error
message and stumbled upon a solution in the networker knowledgebase,
which is probably quite an achievement in itself.

:-)  You're correct, it is.

Normally in your client records you leave the 'Backup command:' property
blank, however if your client record's main name is called
imap1.fred.edu then put in 'save -s imap1.fred.edu'.

This is very good information!  If I could get it to work, it would
provide us with at least a temporary workaround for the problem, while
I talk with Legato about the issue.

I haven't been able to make it work for any of our clients, though, so
I must be doing something wrong.  As an example, we have clients created
within NetWorker named `netreg-2.ndsu.nodak.edu' and
`netreg-2.ndscs.nodak.edu'.  The hostname command on those boxes returns
`netreg.ndsu.NoDak.edu' and `netreg.ndscs.NoDak.edu' respectively.

If I add

        save -s netreg.ndsu.NoDak.edu

in the "Backup command:" for the `netreg-2.ndsu.nodak.edu' client, apply
it, and then probe the client, I still get:

* netreg-2.ndsu.nodak.edu:/ save: SYSTEM error: client `netreg' is not
properly configured on the NetWorker Server
* netreg-2.ndsu.nodak.edu:/ or `netreg' is not in the aliases list for
client `netreg-2.ndsu.nodak.edu'

Looking at the man page for `save' and with Robert Maiello's subsequent
email, it looks to me like this should be

        save -c client_name_as_configured_within_networker

e.g.

        save -c netreg-2.ndsu.nodak.edu

Using that, I'm able to bypass this problem, but you're right: I'm going
to need to do this for every client that I don't want to have the real
short name on the aliases list.

It's a bit of a pain because you have to train your whole team to do
this right all the time, but I dealt with this by writing a small script
to check client resources each day to catch any new records which were
not set up correctly, and it's done the trick.

It is indeed a pain, and your script is a good idea.

Thanks much for your email!  It was very helpful!

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the