Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.1.3 client DNS checks and multihomed clients

2005-08-22 03:28:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.1.3 client DNS checks and multihomed clients
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:25:18 +0200
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Jason Koelker wrote:

JK> As we have many clients (2000+ per networker environment) we ran into
JK> this issue as soon as we started trying to use anything above 7.1.1 on
JK> the clients, since many of our customers like to name their servers
JK> based on role (like one client naming their server db.example.com and
JK> another db.example.org).

How interesting! As a fellow hosting provider, we have the exact same
problem!

JK> I had proposed our own workaround wich will work 100% of the time and
JK> with any version of the client. It would use a custom library to
JK> override the gethostname() function to return a custom value when
JK> starting NetWorker with the library in the LD_PRELOAD environmental
JK> variable.  This allowed us to create a file in /etc and change the name
JK> that NetWorker sees on the fly.

That's only for UNIX, right?

JK> Legato however was unreceptive to this workaround and refused to support
JK> our environments if this was used, and is now coding modified versions
JK> of save and probly savefs for us to revert back to the old
JK> authentication ritual.
JK>
JK> Have fun banging your head against the wall while communicating the
JK> problem to them, it took us about 2 weeks for them to figure out the
JK> workaround I proposed, and I still don't think they fully get it.
JK> Having to code custom client binaries for every version we want to run,
JK> and then to have to test/qa/and support them just doesn't make sense to
JK> me.
JK>
JK> My reccomendation would be to run 7.1.1 on your clients, if you can, and
JK> pray to the gods of backup that they get everything fixed by the time
JK> 8.x comes out and the 7.x series gets EOL'd.

Too bad you have come to the same conclusion as us. :( We have simply
started to rename any conflicting names instead.

Also, previously, backups did work when specifying a client definition
without the short name in the client list, but then networker user
wouldn't work for restores, but the CLI command recover did work. But in
7.1.3, the index functionality also seems to be broken when having two
clients with the same short name.

We received a response from Legato tech support a few weeks ago, with this
work-around:

FR: rlijs

3152677 Running a hosting service and having backup/restore problems ?

Hello Tommy,

Regarding this case, the PSE has come back to me with some workaround for
this problem, i.e. modifying the client's backup command field and add
save -c FQDN. That will work for your customer's configuration.

Let me know if your customer can live with this workaround or if we need
to persue another possibility, i.e. Engineering changing the code.

Thanks for your understanding.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Ronald Lijs
Customer Support Engineer
Legato Support Services
EMC Software Group

However, that hack seems to be ugly, seems it needs manual intervention on
most clients. I think the correct action to take is not to accept this
solution, but rather push EMC/Legato to fix what they broke in Networker
7.

I'd also appreciate if the rest of the community could share their
experience and what information they have received from Legato on this
list, since it would help to know what's going on outside our own little
part of the Legato networker world.

//Oscar