Networker

Re: [Networker] Staging to Advanced File Type devices

2005-08-17 10:46:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staging to Advanced File Type devices
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:26:39 +0100
Mark Davis wrote:

We have 10 TB of "Advanced File Type" disk used to stage our data. The disk is broken up into 14 700 GB file systems. The problem we are having is that NetWorker does not distribute the data evenly across these file systems. When selecting a device for backup, NetWorker always seems to pick the disk that has the most data. If one disk is at 8% full, and another is at 75% full, it will use the one with 75%.

Of course this makes sense when backing up to tape, but causes a variety of problems when using disk. For example, it makes it very difficult to maintain a uniform retention period for the data on disk.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and is there a way to even out the data distribution.

I don't think this is the way that adv_file devices are designed to be used. The other problem you might see is that when a device becomes full the backups in progress won't span to another volume in the same way that a tape device will. My understanding is that you would generally have at most one (possibly very large) adv_file device in use per pool per storage node. I believe that if you merge all your 14 filesystems into one volume you will find that things work as you expect.