Networker

Re: [Networker] The security "enhancements" - required action?

2005-08-17 09:43:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] The security "enhancements" - required action?
From: Hrvoje Crvelin <Hcrvelin AT ORCHESTRA DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:31:26 +0200
> Some things about it strikes me as odd:
> Why do I have to uninstall anything?
Because this is not patch or jumbo patch but patch package... so it is the same
as you would apply 7.1.6 or 7.2.9 or whatever... partiall uninstall and then
install.

> Why? If there is indeed a patch out for something, shouldn't that be taken
> care of automatically?
This is not specific patch, but change done to code did involve changing most
of the binaries. Not sure now 100%, but I think this file is left when doing
unistall and install after and there is no change to force different action
than previous default action.  Not sure if this will change in 7.1.4 and/or
7.2.1.

> Again, why? Especially, why do I have to do that on EVERY client, if I'm
> still supposed to patch things?
Well, it could be yes or no... If we have to set it yes it means no is default.
 Like LTO2 block size is 64 and it sucks and you have to to set it to 256 for
example.  I know that setting this on each client is pain and in big envs. does
include some change request work that could be even bigger pain, but that's
life..

> Without actually knowing exactly how this patch works, this seems like yet
> another sloppy patch release, that is
> poorly implemented in terms of deployment ease. I wonder if it will break
> anything as well. ;)
I wonder if you asked Legato about the details?  Don't get me wrong, but I
would place my questions in that direction.

Created by Orchestra Service GmbH (http://www.orchestra.de)

contains information which may be confidential and which may also be
privileged.
Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee)
you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else.
If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned
for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer viruses.