Networker

Re: [Networker] EMC/Legato-NetWorker vs Veritas-NetBackup

2005-08-16 05:29:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] EMC/Legato-NetWorker vs Veritas-NetBackup
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 05:21:15 -0400
Background:
I've been on a TSM training course and used TSM to recover files very
occasionally, never used Netbackup and used Networker a lot.

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:54:59 -0400, Robert Maiello
<robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM> wrote:

>At my last place other sites were using TSM and sweared by it.  It was
>certainly different in that it that they spoke of "how many versions" of
>each file one wanted to keep.
in TSM you can specify both the number of versions and the time to keep
versions, if I remember correctly you can't time out all versions.

>I recall they spent quite a bit of time running consolidating jobs which
>cleaned up space.  I presumed this was disk space but also could have been
>making new fulls as some backup would be spread over too many tapes.
TSMs' use of disk is still probably the best on the market, versions can
be migrated from dosk to tape, there is also the ability to merge multiple
tapes together eg when 2 tapes have only 40% useful files merge these onto
another blank tape. Thirdly I recall there was the ability to consolidate
one or meor servers onto one or more tapes ( to reduce the number of tapes
required for a full recover.
>I thought there was some limit upon which, if your server was spread over
>too many tapes, it would do a real new full.  That would negate the
concept
>of incrementals forever though.
Don't recall a limit, but do recall that you can simulate the full inc
cycle instead of inc for ever.

One old complaint about TSM was the poor user interface, it now has a
web/java gui, however I found this worse than Networkers - but this might
be down to being used to Networker, I found it difficult to find things in
the TSM GUI.
Of interest to me was the training for Networker I've seen consists of 2
two day courses, the TSM course was one week (basic TSM) with several
other one week courses for SAN DBs etc.. I can't compare the quality of
the courses as I've not been on the Networker ones.