Networker

Re: [Networker] Hidden verbose savegroup option?

2005-08-12 10:33:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Hidden verbose savegroup option?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:32:57 -0400
On Aug 12, 2005, at 10:16 AM, George Sinclair wrote:

How do you enable the hidden verbose savegroup option? How do you use this to see what a client's backup is doing?

Someone mentioned this the other day in a reply to the "Problem with ending a savegroup" posting. Something about being able to then do a tail on a file in /nsr/tmp. I never see anything under /nsr/tmp except some lock files and a 'sec' directory that's essentially empty. What file would this be? Also, I should note that /nsr/tmp has not been updated at any time recently on any clients I look at. Not sure what info it would contain that would be useful?

On the Unix version of nwadmin, you need to go into the Customize pull down menu, select the Groups item, then in the resulting windows "view" menu, select the details option. You need to go through this procedure each time you open up the Groups window. On Windows, you go into the Options pull down menu and select the hidden items option. I do not have the Windows GUI in front of me so I am going by memory. You can then click on the savegroup in question and that verbose option will appear in one of the tabs.

Once you do that and start the savegroup, you can look in the /tmp directory inside the nsr directory for the relevant files. The files will be obviously named, but the naming convention is very long. Those files will be there regardless of the verbose option's setting, but with the verbose option, more detail will be written to each client's tmp file.