Networker

Re: [Networker] Data being backed up is more than the actual volume size......

2005-08-11 03:25:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Data being backed up is more than the actual volume size......
From: Srinivas Rao <rsrini AT BLR.PIN.PHILIPS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:48:15 +0530
Dear Darren,
The filer is EMC Celerra. Below are the directories of /pstv.

/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0001
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0002
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0003
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0004
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0005
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0006
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0007
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0008
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0009
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0010
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0011
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0012
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0013
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0014
/pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_0015
/pstv/.etc
/pstv/BL Personal
/pstv/Data
/pstv/SYSTEM.trace
/pstv/bu-dcs
/pstv/gv
/pstv/lost+found

As you said, snapshot policy is enabled in the filer, it runs at 8PM
everyday and the filer maintains 15 snapshot copies. You can see snapshot
files by name /pstv/.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_00xx(xx is the number between 01 to 15).
The size of each snapshot file is around 285GB to 305GB. All the above
directories including snapshot files of /pstv have been mentioned in the
save set attribute of the client ingbtc01. However during full and
incremental backups the size of each snapshot file(.ckpt_ckpt_pstv_00xx) is
361MB and 96MB respectively (you can see this in the attached backup log
file) although the actual file size is around 300GB.

I have two queries here:

1. Why Networker backs up only 361MB / 96MB although the actual size of the
file is around 300GB?
2. If I mention all the above directories including snapshot files of /pstv
in the save set attribute of ingbtc01, backup happens properly. However if I
mention just /pstv, data being backed up is more than the actual volume
size(I have seen Networker was constantly backing up more than 600GB and
hence because of this I had to abort the backup manually).

Please clarify.

Thanks for your cooperation,
Srinivas Rao,
Technical Support Engineer-Legato,