Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with ending a savegroup

2005-08-10 17:10:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with ending a savegroup
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:08:27 +0100
Stan Horwitz wrote:
> Is there any way to ensure that a problem backing up a particular
> client in a savegroup will not prevent the savegroup from ending when
> the backups all the other clients in that savegroup finish? The
> environment here consists of a NetWorker 7.1.3 server on Solaris 9  with
> one storage node, also on Solaris 9, and around 200 clients. I  notice
> that in some situations where the backup for a Windows server  fails for
> some reason, the savegroup its in just hangs and the backup  never gets
> registered as complete. This happens even when the retries  for the
> savegroup is set to zero. How can I be sure that a given  savegroup will
> end within a 24 hour period so that it will start  again at its next
> schedule start time.
> One particular savegroup was hung for several days because a  particular
> Windows client's backup just stopped, but never actually  abended. As a
> result, the next day, none of the other clients in that  savegroup were
> backed up. That's not good.

The only way to do this is to run a script daily from cron that will
then create "at" jobs to kill any running group 5 minutes before they
are due to start again. I actually have such a script, it also allows
exceptions for groups that you might choose to allow to overrun. I can
supply you this script if you want it. In the environment where I
implemented this I used to run it at 2pm daily.