Networker

[Networker] Should I clone, use saveset recover or simply rerun?

2005-08-09 17:10:08
Subject: [Networker] Should I clone, use saveset recover or simply rerun?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:05:40 -0400
I tried to run an nwrecover, and NetWorker complains that it cannot read record 0 of file 106 (see nwrecover messages below) for the given tape. Prior to this, mminfo showed nothing suspect for this saveset, nor did the saveset recover GUI widow. However, there were some messages in the daemon.log file (see below), and after running nwrecover, the saveset is then identified as suspect. Not surprising, I suppose.

I ran several other nwrecovers, and I was able to recover other data from this same saveset (same volume), and they work fine. So, I'm trying to determine if it would be easier to simply re-backup this whole saveset (300+ GB) or just the failed files themselves, but I'm concerned there could be other affected areas on the tape, so re-backing up just those failed files might not be enough, so maybe safest to run the whole enchilada again.

What is the easiest way for me to determine what if anything else is bad on this saveset?

Should I simply run a saveset recover for the entire saveset and see what files it fails to recover, or should I attempt to clone the saveset or just re-run? I'm not sure if cloning will tell me what files it failed to read when cloning, though? What will cloning do when it gets to that part of the tape? Will it report what it can't read and then continue, or will it abort?

Thanks.

George

<<< daemon.log file >>>
08/02/05 04:14:25 AM nsrd: media info LTO Ultrium tape FL1051 was being written before crash 08/02/05 04:14:44 AM nsrd: media info: read 12180 records, and EOF marks after file 105 08/02/05 04:14:50 AM nsrd: host:a/exports/projects saving to pool 'FUL' (FL1051)

08/02/05 12:40:28 PM nsrd: media warning: rd=snode:/dev/nst0 writing: No space
left on device, at file 283 record 5546
08/02/05 12:40:28 PM nsrd: media notice: LTO Ultrium tape FL1051 on
rd=snode:/dev/nst0 is full
08/02/05 12:40:29 PM nsrd: media notice: LTO Ultrium tape FL1051 used 289 GB of
200 GB capacity

<<< messages from nwrecover >>>
Volumes needed (all on-line):

       FL1051 at rd=snode:STK
Requesting 14 file(s), this may take a while...
Total estimated disk space needed for recover is 4027 MB.

Error encountered on the following files by NSR server `server': can not read
record 0 of file 106 on LTO Ultrium tape FL1051
        ./data_1/f1.zip @ Tue Aug  2 08:13:05 2005
        ./data_1/f2.zip @ Tue Aug  2 08:13:05 2005
        ./data_1/f3.zip @ Tue Aug  2 08:13:05 2005
        ./data_1/f4.zip @ Tue Aug  2 08:13:05 2005
        ./data_1/f5.zip @ Tue Aug  2 08:13:05 2005
        ./data_1/f6.zip @ Tue Aug  2 08:13:05 2005
nwrecover: Requesting remaining 8 file(s) from NSR server `server'
./data_1/f7.zip
./data_1/f8.zip
./data_1/f9.zip
./data_1/f10.zip
./data_1/README.txt
./data_1/f11.zip
./data_1/readme_first.txt
./data_1/
Received 8 file(s) from NSR server `server'
Recover errors with 6 file(s)

Recover completion time: Tue Aug  9 18:53:13 2005