Networker

Re: [Networker] Data being backedup is more than the actual volume size......

2005-08-08 12:36:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Data being backedup is more than the actual volume size......
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:30:35 -0700
> Dear Networkers,
> Our Networker server is running on Windows 2003 and we have around 80
> Networker clients. A NFS partition, /pstv, from filer mounted on a

A network appliance filer?

> client called ingbtc01 and the data size of this partition is 270GB. However
> Networker keeps on backing up more than 600GB from /pstv with every full and
> incremental backup and because of this I have been aborting it's backup
> every day.

The default is for the top level mount point to have the .snapshot
directory visible.  Depending on how you have it configured, that can
contain many extra copies of the entire mount point.

You should be excluding snapshot directories (or using exactly one of
them explicitly).

> However if I mention all directories of /pstv explicitly in ingbtc01's
> saveset attribute, backup happens properly.

That would mean that you wouldn't be backing up /pstv/.snapshot, which
simply lising /pstv probably would.