Networker

Re: [Networker] Halting a savegroup started by a remote scheduler

2005-08-03 14:22:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Halting a savegroup started by a remote scheduler
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:17:25 +0100
King, David - Eastman wrote:

> We use a third party scheduler that logs onto our Legato servers
> worldwide (all W2K3 with NW 7.1.3 or 7.2) using an administrative
> account and runs a PERL script that does a savegrp command.  Along with
> the usual processes (savegrp, nsrmmd, etc) are a cmd and perl process.
>
> The problem is that we cannot halt the savegroup without recycling the
> Networker services.   Since we have other backups and clone jobs
> running, we do not wish to do this.
>
> I tried killing the savegrp, cmd and eventually all processes for that
> account, but the savegroup didn't stop.   If only one client is still
> running, I can kill the save process on that client, but otherwise
> cannot stop the savegroup.
>
> Any ideas?

Killing off a group like this can be messy. After killing the savegrp
process there will still be many processes running on clients, and
associated nsrexec and nsrindexd processes on the server.

A better solution is not to start a group by running the savegrp command
directly, but to start it using nsradmin. By doing this you can then
stop the command from the GUI as normal, or again using nsradmin. A
command to do this on Unix would be something like:

echo ". type: NSR group; name: MyGroup"
      update start now: Yes" | nsradmin -i -

On Windows it will be something similar but I think the multi-line
nsradmin command might cause a problem to the cmd parser. Perhaps you
would need to write the nsradmin commands to a file then feed that to
nsradmin like so:
echo ". type: NSR group; name: MyGroup" > adminfile
echo "update start now: Yes" >> adminfile
nsradmin -i adminfile

If you are relying on your scheduler to wait for the group to finish you
will need to write a little loop that queries nsradmin periodically and
waits for the group status to change to something other than "Running".
I'll leave that detail to you.