Networker

Re: [Networker] Two questions on preserving an index?

2005-08-02 14:17:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Two questions on preserving an index?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:11:19 -0700

> Two questions here:
>
> 1. If you have a client that is either powered off or not in an active
> group, what happens to the index? Will it remain dormant since it's not
> being updated, or will NetWorker truncate entries each day?

File indexes will be purged as the browse period is reached.

Savesets on media will be marked recyclable as the retention period is
reached, with the exception that the backups from the final full and its
dependents will not be marked.  There must always be at least one full.

> We have a client whose browse policy is 1 month, and it's not currently
> being backed up. Will the index remain frozen indefinitely? So, if I
> keep the client listed in the client list can I bring the host back on
> line several months later and then browse back one month without worry
> that the index entries would have been truncated?

I think the browse period will still expire the file indexes.  You could
always remerge an old one with -L7 if you have a tape from the proper
time period.

> 2. What happens if I decide to remove the client from the list? It's
> taking up a license even though it's not in an active group. If I note
> the client-id, can I re-create the client later and be able to use the
> same index that's been out there from before? Should I leave the index
> where it is (no license required to leave it there, I assume?).

I'll let others answer that.  There's a right way to do it from 6
forward which retains the correct client-id.  I haven't done that in a
while.