Networker

Re: [Networker] Oracle rman restores

2005-08-01 10:26:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Oracle rman restores
From: Gavin Kelman <gavin AT METAHUSKY DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:23:49 +0100
On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 02:59:54PM +0100, Gavin Kelman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our Oracle DBAs are doing restores with RMAN, and some are working and
> others are just hanging. In nwadmin, I can see the browse sessions from
> the clients, but they just stay there and nothing starts to recover, with
> no tape mounts pending.
>
> We seem to have tracked it down to this:
> If we do an Oracle backup and then a restore straight away, it works, as
> the tape is mounted. If we try to restore from a backup taken a few days
> earlier, it just hangs, without any tape mounts pending. No errors occur,
> everything (nwadmin and rman) just sit there.
>
> Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this, so it mounts the correct
> tapes? How can I find out more about what's happening? There are no errors
> in the daemon.log or messages file, everything seems to be in order.

One thing that does appear in our daemon.log is hundreds of messages
like:
08/01/05 15:17:10 ansrd: Cannot bind socket to connection port in configured
port range on system astro.

This is on the Networker server, astro, so it's trying to connect to itself.
There's no firewall running on the local machine, so it should connect.
nsrports is left to the default, which by my calculations is plenty of
ports.

Cheers,
Gavin.

--