Networker

Re: [Networker] Cannot save Registry key SOFTWARE

2005-07-28 09:48:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cannot save Registry key SOFTWARE
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:48:26 -0400
Cor,

I myself did not make the change on the client; hence my ignorance.  I
have the following listed as the change; probably pasted from one of your
Q documents.  I see on our box with 3Gb of RAM we set PoolUsageMaximum to
x0000003c (60).

Note: if you only have 256MB in the system total, I would not be mucking
with these setting..I would buy more RAM first.   Still, with a large
amount of physical memory we found we had to add these adjustments.  Of
course, you may want to get a debug client from Legato so you can see
if your getting a 1450 error.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

Changed to solve 0x000000 error:

SYMPTOMS
When you try to create a backup by using NTBackup.exe or by using a third-
party backup program that uses the NT Backup API, the backup may not be
completed successfully. This behavior may occur even if you run the
program locally on the server. Additionally, you may experience one or
more of the following symptoms:   One or more of the following error
messages appear in the application log:
Error Message 1
ERROR 1450: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested
service.

ERROR 1450: / hex 0x5aa ERROR_NO_SYSTEM_RESOURCES

Operating system error 1450 Insufficient system resources exist to
complete the requested service.

Write on "device" failed, status = 1450
Error Message 2
ERROR 1130: Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

ERROR 1130 / hex 0x46a ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_SERVER_MEMORY

Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally.
  Event ID 2020 and Event ID 2021 messages may be generated by the Server
service.

Note Typically, Event ID 2020 and Event ID 2021 messages do not appear.
  If you are running the Hewlett-Packard (HP) OmniBack backup program, you
may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
[81:78] C:\foldername\file.name
Cannot read 57256 bytes at offset 436176408(:1): ([1450]
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.).
  If you view the Performance tab in Windows Task Manager, you notice that
nonpaged kernel memory is very low.
Note You may receive these error messages for reasons that are not related
to the problem that this article describes. If you receive these error
messages only when you back up large system volumes, the two most probable
causes are those that this article describes.

To help determine if you are experiencing this problem, start Windows Task
Manager, and then click the Performance tab. At the lower right, locate
the Kernel Memory (K) area, and then note the value for Paged. You may
experience this problem when this value reaches approximately 160
megabytes (MB) (or greater on Microsoft Windows 2000-based computers). If
you have set the registry key for paged pool memory to a higher value, you
will not experience this problem until a much higher value of paged pool
memory is used (the problem may occur when the paged pool memory usage
reaches about 80 percent of the set value). If you have the gflags setting
turned on for pool tags and if you use the Poolmon utility, you see a
higher usage of the MmSt tag. This is the pool tag that is used to map the
operating system memory that is used to track shared files.
CAUSE
The two causes of this problem are related. The more frequent cause is
listed first:   More files are open than the memory cache manager can
handle. As a result, the cache manager has exhausted the available paged
pool memory.
  The backup program has tried to back up a file whose size is larger than
the backup API can access on that version of the operating system. This
has the same result (that is, the paged pool is exhausted).
The resolution for each problem differs depending on whether you see the
condition on Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 or on Windows 2000.
RESOLUTION
Windows 2000
Note You must be running Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later. For
additional information about why you must use Windows 2000 Service Pack 2,
click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:
259837 You may not be able to copy large files on computers that are
running Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000
Resolve the First Problem
You may have to change two registry settings. You must always change the
first setting, and you also may have to change the second setting based on
your configuration.

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from
using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own
risk.Registry Setting 1 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Memory_Management
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
value:
Value name: PoolUsageMaximum
Data type: REG_DWORD
Radix: Decimal
Value data: 60

Important Use 60 as your initial value. If your backup does not succeed,
use 30 as your value. If that does not work, you must change the behavior
of your backup program to reduce the demand of paged pool. If the value
works, you may want to increase the value by approximately 25 percent
until the backup does not work. If the backup is unsuccessful, use the
second registry setting that is described in this article.

Important Make sure that the value for this registry setting is not more
than 60.

Important If you are running /3GB and or /PAE, use 10 as your initial
setting.

4. Quit Registry Editor.
5. Restart your computer.