Networker

Re: [Networker] by savepnpc, when script is used for delete archi ve log of Oracle

2005-07-13 20:51:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] by savepnpc, when script is used for delete archi ve log of Oracle
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:45:04 -0500
Snoop,

I use a combination of scripts to backup my Oracle Archive log files too but
I use the 'save' command rather than savepnpc.  Our Oracle and the scripts
are running on a Solaris 7 system but the NetWorker server is Windows 2K.

I would say the only sure way to avoid deleting Archive log files when there
is a failure is to not delete them in the postcmd scripts but to wait until
it's finally done and parse the Savegroup Completion Message or
alternatively to use the nsradmin command to get the completion messages
from the group resource.  The nsradmin command would go something like this:

> nsradmin -s SERVER
NetWorker administration program.
Use the "help" command for help, "visual" for full-screen mode.
nsradmin>  show completion
nsradmin>  print type: nsr group; name: archivelogs-group
        <Completion text appears here>
nsradmin> quit

The way to use this in a script (ksh script on Unix) is:

echo "
  show completion
  print type: NSR group;
  name: archivelogs-group" | nsradmin -s SERVER -i - > OutputFile

Then you could parse 'OutputFile' for success or failure.

I don't think the 'completion' information is available until after the
savegroup finishes so this has to be done after the postcmd script finishes.

I hope this helps.  If you want more details about exactly what I do to
backup my Archive log files let me know.

Dave

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon