Networker

Re: [Networker] Automating a second clone?

2005-07-13 10:17:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Automating a second clone?
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <Maarten.Boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:13:51 +0200
George,

If you only have one group that clones to your clonepool you will know that it
is ready when the group (with auto cloning on) is ready. This could be
captured by a mail filter or by polling if the group is still running. (only
mail fitering will however catch errors in the group). If you have multiple
groups cloning to your pool it becomes a lot trickier.

Scripting like:
mminfo -q'pool=ORIGINALPOOL,copies=2,!ssrecycle,!incomplete' -r'ssid,cloneid'

would be the start of something like this assuming you want to clone from the
original and not from the first clone pool. Be warned that its not easy to
program for all possible errors of the original cloning so a good reporter on
the first clone is also needed.

mminfo -q'pool=ORIGINALPOOL,savetime > 12 hours
ago,!ssrecycle,!incomplete,copies=1' -a -v would give you an indication
wheter any original is not yet cloned.

hope it gives a starting point

Maarten

PS it irritates me greatly that !ssrecycle,!incomplete is not on by default
It should have been

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 15:35, George Sinclair wrote:
> How best can I automate the creation of a second clone?
>
> We have a group that runs every morning with "Clones" set to 'yes', so
> we end up with all the savesets cloned to another pool. This works just
> fine, but I would also like to automate the creation of a second clone
> but to a different pool. In other words, I'd like the same original
> savesets cloned to this second pool after the first clones complete. How
> best can I do this?
>
> I don't want to wait to clone the whole original volume. I'd prefer to
> have it done each day so I don't fall behind, but the only thing I see
> involves backup groups and automatic cloning but no way to just automate
> *only* a clone. Is it a simple matter to just write a script to run out
> of cron, on the primary server, that first determines which original
> savesets have not yet been cloned to the second pool and then just  runs
> 'nsrclone' on each saveset, cloning them to the second pool? How would
> it know that the original volume was not still in use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> George
>
> --
> to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu or visit the list's Web site at
> http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html where you can
> also view and post messages to the list. Questions regarding this list
> should be sent to stan AT temple DOT edu

Maarten Boot,
Compuware Europe B.V.
Hoogoorddreef 5
1101 BA Amsterdam